Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) - Maggie Stiefvater

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. 

Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. 

Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...



This series, man. This series.

If you haven't heard of it yet, then you have now and you don't have an excuse to not buy the first two books immediately. If you HAVE heard of it...then I have no freaking clue what you're waiting for.

The Dream Thieves picks up basically where The Raven Boys leaves off. Gansey and Co. are still desperately searching for Glendower, and dealing with the aftermath of what happened with the ley line in the previous book. Blue is still trying to convince herself that she's in love with Adam, and Gansey is still obliviously unaware of his eventual fate. The plot confused me (again), but I don't even care. There were so many things going on...the usual complications with Glendower and Cabeswater, as well as the addition of several fascinating new characters, the deepening and twisting of familiar characters' backstories, some startling discoveries made by Ronan, plus about thousands more. And I loved every twisted, exciting second.

The thing that I can't get over about the Raven Cycle series is the absolutely insane way that Ms. Stiefvater somehow manages to create this entirely implausible world so far disconnected from our own, and yet interwoven with characters so achingly and hauntingly real that you can actually feel their presence coming off the page. It's beautiful. Every word, every page, everything. It's lyrical and flowing and powerful and terrifying and a thousand things all at once, and it just captivates you. I honestly do not think I've ever been so taken in by anything in my life.

The Dream Thieves shifts its focus slightly from Gansey/Blue, and instead to Ronan. We don't know much about him at the start of the book, but by the end he'll be ripping your heart out along with the rest of them. His ability is incredible, and watching him discover it and learn to use its (sometimes terrifying) power is fascinating. Not to mention we learn a few key things about him as a whole, as well as some pretty sizable plot twists regarding his family life.

Adam continues to make me so uncomfortable in this book, in the sense that he is a ticking time bomb. He's so unstable, and reading about him and being inside his head makes me incredibly anxious. That's the thing about Adam -- it's the unpredictability. It's really hard to say what he's capable of, and that scares me. I'm worried for Adam in the third book, I really am.

Blue is fabulous as ever, full of grit and plenty of spunk. I love that she refuses to be left behind and overlooked not only in the group of boys, but also in our eyes as readers. She's got plenty to say, and she demands to be heard, and I adore that about her. She's probably one of my favorite heroines that I've ever had the pleasure to read about, and I love her more than life itself. Her various romantic relationships are difficult to watch however, because it becomes clear that someone's going to get hurt (and he does). Which is a difficult thing to read about when you're so invested in each and every character, and you want to wrap them up in a blanket and keep them safe forever.

And lastly, Gansey. My beautiful, diplomatic, witty Gansey. I think that everyone has that one character that you connect to on such a raw, personal level. And for me, that character is Gansey. I don't even know what to say about him. I can't even put it into words. Plus, his very subtly blooming relationship with Blue is just so beautiful to watch. There's so little physical romance, and yet the tension between them is just unbelievable. I cannot WAIT to read more about them in the third book.

The ONLY thing that saddened me about this book was the lack of Gansey. There wasn't quite enough of him for my taste, which I understand because we needed to learn more about Ronan. But I missed his presence.

All in all though, this book was incredibly beautiful and wonderful and amazing. I loved the mysterious nature of the Grey Man, I loved reading about Ronan's brothers (particularly sweet, precious Matthew), I loved Blue and Gansey's relationship, I loved everything. Please, everyone, go read this series immediately, and watch your life be changed forever.

Pages: 439
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Date Published: September 17, 2013
Rating:







No comments:

Post a Comment

#Navbar1 { margin: 0; padding: 0; display: none; visibility: hidden; }